Venice historic centre consists of six areas (“sestieri” in Italian):
– 1) Cannaregio: Santa Lucia train station
– 2) Castello: largest district, Biennale Venice
– 3) Dorsoduro: Peggy Guggenheim Collection
– 4) San Marco: St. Mark’s Square
– 5) San Polo: Rialto Bridge, shopping
– 6) Santa Croce: car parking, bus station, cruise boats
To explore the city it is best to walk or travel by water. It is not always easy to find the way into the center: there are about 150 canals, 400 bridges and numerous alleys. But because you’re on an small island you can not really get lost.